newheader 11-2016

The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, Georgia

English | Espaņol    
  556 N. McDonough Street, DeKalb County Courthouse
Decatur, GA 30030-3356
Home Page Civil Issues Criminal Issues Misdemeanor Mental Health Court FAQs Contact

DeKalb County Magistrate Court Civil Issues

Civil Matters

Are there certain kinds of cases that I cannot file in Magistrate Court?

return to FAQs page

There are certain kinds of cases which cannot be filed in Magistrate Court, even if the amount being sought is less than $15,000. The Magistrate Court cannot hear divorce cases and family law matters and any case in which the Court would have to make a decision regarding ownership rights and interests in real estate. Also, the Magistrate Court cannot issue an order directing a party to take some specific action such as repairing or returning property or to order them to refrain from taking some action, e.g. building a fence or cutting down trees. That type of relief is known as injunctive relief and can only be granted in Superior Court.

return to FAQs page

© The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County | All Rights Reserved Site Map  /  Disclaimer/Terms of Use
The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, Georgia | 556 N. McDonough Street, Suite 270, DeKalb County Courthouse, Decatur, GA 30030-3356 | Phone: 404-371-2261
The Diversion Treatment Court of DeKalb County | 556 N. McDonough St. Room 1200D, DeKalb County Courthouse, DeKalb County Courthouse, Decatur, GA 30030 | Phone: 404-371-2241

Website Consultation, Website Design, and Search Engine Optimzation provided by WebXperts Design Inc. | 508 Compliance Consultation provided by