Any citizen may make an application for an arrest warrant. It is strongly recommended that the crime first be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency. There are certain requirements needed prior to filing:
Where Do I Apply For A Criminal Arrest Warrant?
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older or the parent or guardian must file on his/her behalf.
- The person against whom the warrant is being requested must be 17 years old or older.
- The alleged crime must have taken place in DeKalb County.
- If a police report of the alleged crime was made, obtain the police report number.
- The current and complete mailing address of the person you are requesting a warrant against.
- The complete date of birth of the person you are requesting a warrant against.
- The applicant must swear before the clerk of court that the facts given on the application are the truth.
- A $20 application fee must be paid.
An issuance of a criminal warrant is granted by the Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, whose location is:
Magistrate Court Criminal Building
3630 Camp Circle, 4400 Memorial Drive Complex
Decatur, GA 30032 (view map)
Hours of Operation:
8:30 a.m. to 12 midnight, seven(7) days a week
Types of Warrants:
Please note that the Magistrate Court does not issue restraining orders or temporary protective orders. Those actions must be filed in the Superior Court of DeKalb County.
If you are a domestic violence victim, here are some resources available to you for domestic violence prevention and education, advocacy, and safety planning:
Sharee Wyse: (for protective orders and domestic violence warrant applications)
Domestic Violence Case Coordinator, DeKalb Magistrate Court
return to Criminal Matters page